| |

Craxme.com

Forgot password?
 Join
View: 21|Reply: 2
Collapse the left

[Articles & Opinions] From tobacco to milkshakes: where did 'sin taxes' come from?

[Copy link]
Post time: 12-7-2019 11:34:02 Posted From Mobile Phone
| Show all posts |Read mode
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Boris Johnson thinks sin taxes are part of the ‘nanny state’ – but he’s muddling up his authority figures.
Nannies punish naughtiness, not sins … Mary Poppins. Photograph: Allstar/Walt Disney Productions
▼ This week, campaigners were worried that Theresa May’s cherished plans to increase “sin taxes” on tobacco companies and milkshakes would not  survive the end of her  premiership. Boris Johnson, perhaps a man particularly reluctant to contemplate negative consequences for sin, said that “sin taxes” were part of the “nanny state”. This, however, is to confuse two authority figures. A nanny punishes naughtiness; sin is punished by God.
The phrase “sin tax” is first recorded in 1901, in an article about a young women’s society in the US that fined its members for using slang. (“My sin tax!” exclaimed one as she paid up.) Its political use, to mean (▪ ▪ ▪)

Please, continue reading this article here: Source

Use magic Report

Post time: 12-7-2019 12:09:36
| Show all posts
Pretty interesting peep into the history of Sin Tax.

However, I really fail to understand why is this tax levied at all. If it is a Sin, it should be eliminated instead of being legitimised after paying a tax.

So in effect, cigarettes and alcohol producing factories need to be shut down. But I guess between giving citizens a good health and earning tax revenues, governments actually go in for the latter. Pretty stupid approach, but since we don't complain well enough, the politicians get a chance to continue their circus.

Use magic Report

Post time: 13-7-2019 14:24:31
| Show all posts
I think it's more like your health is your responsibility, if you want to go kill your self,  the state will not interfere as long as you do it voluntarily and do not harm others. And since this is not a basic necessity, it can be taxed higher to compensate for the subsidies on the basic goods.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Join

Points Rules

Mobile|Dark room|CraxMe UA-106553710-1

21-7-2019 07:35 AM GMT+5.5