| |

Craxme.com

Forgot password?
 Join
View: 22|Reply: 1
Collapse the left

[Articles & Opinions] Why should authors read your bad reviews?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2-7-2019 10:13:18 Posted From Mobile Phone
| Show all posts |Read mode
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

After Angie Thomas requested that she not be tagged into negative reviews of her books on social media, she has received a torrent of abuse.
‘We are people with feelings’ ... Angie Thomas. Photograph: Imani Khayyam/The Observer
▼ History has yet to find the book that is universally adored – or the author who enjoys reading bad reviews. While Angie  Thomashas topped the charts and scooped up armloads of awards for her two young adult novels, The Hate U Give and On the Come Up, her recent request that book bloggers stop sending her their negative reviews saw her on the receiving end of a wave of vitriol.
Thomas wasn’t asking reviewers to stop writing bad reviews. She was just asking that they didn’t give her a prod on Twitter or Instagram to tell her about it.
“Guess what? WE ARE PEOPLE WITH FEELINGS. What’s the point of tagging an author in a negative review? Really?” she  wrote on Twitter. “We have to protect our mental space. Too many opinions, good or bad, can affect that … Getting feedback from too many sources can harm your writing process. I have a group of people whose feedback I value – my editor, my agent, other authors who act as beta readers. With the position I’m in, social media is for interacting with readers, not for getting critiques.”
Thomas has subsequently been subjected to online abuse from readers and reviewers. One reader announced that they’ll throw her books away. Others said that her response made them disinclined to read her. (“When people are rude and negative this way it makes me not want to support them.”) Some opined that “talking hood” – Thomas’s books dip in and out of African American vernacular – makes her seem “extremely unintelligent”.
Authors have been saying for  yearsthat they would prefer not to be tagged in bad reviews on social media. (▪ ▪ ▪)

Please, continue reading this article here: Source

Use magic Report

Post time: 8-7-2019 15:53:44
| Show all posts
Unfortunately social media is blurring the boundaries very fast and it would be a fierce debate about who is right or who is wrong. Some may agree, some may not.
When a reader purchases a book, its alright for the reader to give feedback on the book. However while giving feedback on social media, reader must not cross boundaries or troll the author. Instead of social media, reader has use other ways like e-mail or letter or blogging.
On the other hand, Author should also be able to digest negative comments when they had written a bad book. Not every book is a masterpiece. There will always be some negativity on social media. You can not make everyone happy. How to face or avoid such negativity, depends on each individual author.

Now a days, one comment even with slightest negativity, can be blown out of proportionality.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Join

Points Rules

Mobile|Dark room|CraxMe UA-106553710-1

21-7-2019 09:01 AM GMT+5.5