View: 37|Reply: 0
Collapse the left

[Book Reviews] 'One by One' by Chris Carter

[Copy link]
Post time: 27-6-2019 10:31:50
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Arunita at 28-6-2019 12:57 PM

One by One(Robert Hunter #5)by Chris Carter

'I need your help, Detective. Fire or water?' Detective Robert Hunter of the LAPD's Homicide Special Section receives an anonymous call asking him to go to a specific web address - a private broadcast. Hunter logs on and a show devised for his eyes only immediately begins. But the caller doesn't want Detective Hunter to just watch, he wants him to participate, and refusal is simply not an option. Forced to make a sickening choice, Hunter must sit and watch as an unidentified victim is tortured and murdered live over the Internet. The LAPD, together with the FBI, use everything at their disposal to electronically trace the transmission down, but this killer is no amateur, and he has covered his tracks from start to finish. And before Hunter and his partner Garcia are even able to get their investigation going, Hunter receives a new phone call. A new website address. A new victim. But this time the killer has upgraded his game into a live murder reality show, where anyone can cast the deciding vote.

Review:

Okay..First of all, if you can't handle a bit gruesome, this book is not for you. Some murders are quite disturbing. Although this is the fifth book in the Detective Robert Hunter series, the order doesn't matter that much. You will get a brief introduction to the core characters.  I liked the narration style. In some places though, it felt like reading a movie script-the way the author portrays people having flashbacks in the middle of action sequence and all. But he mentions very minute details in a way that will help you imagine the scene, yet will not bore you to tears. Detective Robert Hunter appears to be a bit Gary Sue in a few sequences, but that is how thrillers work I suppose. The abduction sequences of two victims gave me nightmares for a few days and had me cautiously checking behind the doors and under the bed before hitting the bed but...never-mind. What is a good horror thriller without it?
I would give the book 4/5.
The book can be accessed here:
https://www.craxme.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=668&highlight=chris%2Bcarter
Thank you @webwicked for uploading the series.

Rate

Number of participants 1Money +25 Collapse Reason
Rhett Bassard + 25 Thnx for your participation and contribution.

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Join

Points Rules

Mobile|Dark room|CraxMe UA-106553710-1

21-7-2019 07:40 AM GMT+5.5