| |

Craxme.com

Forgot password?
 Join
View: 113|Reply: 8
Collapse the left

[Discussion] Are online streaming channels eating into our reading habits?

[Copy link]
Post time: 28-1-2019 14:27:32
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by cynic at 29-1-2019 02:33 PM

With streaming platforms like Netflix, Hotstar, and Prime offering a variety of content, millennials are taking to them for more than just entertainment. Some even say that their reading habit has taken a hit now.

Do you think ardent readers will always pick books over any online streaming channel and non-readers will continue to ‘Netflix and chill’? Or that the internet and books are two very different media and it is quite possible to find a balance between the two? Is visual content is overtaking text?

I read this article on The Print over the weekend and am curious to know the book club members' thoughts on this. Do share.

Rate

Number of participants 1Money +55 Collapse Reason
Pedro_P + 55 Interesting and very pertinent question.

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 28-1-2019 17:08:21
| Show all posts
The pleasure of reading is unique with the smooth flow of thought and the embellishments of language.Though the visuals present the content with a forceful impact there would still be a variety of subjects that are savoured through measured reading and assimilated at leisure.

Use magic Report

Post time: 28-1-2019 22:00:34
| Show all posts
Ardent readers will always pick books but not every book over every tv series. I , for one, am an ardent follower of both. So, evidently if netflix didn't exist, I would have had quite a few more books crossed off of my bucket list. Now, whether that is for good or bad that I don't know.

Use magic Report

Post time: 29-1-2019 01:16:19
| Show all posts
Currently binging #SacredGames, #TheExpanse, #SneakyPete, #TheTick, etc. Hardly have time to upload eBooks or share Money with the newbs. But I'll manage, along with some reading time ;)

Use magic Report

Post time: 29-1-2019 03:15:43
| Show all posts
In a sense yes, although the streaming channels do have a lot of content which I would have read about anyways.

So in a sense, they are imparting more information more efficiently.

Rate

Number of participants 1Money +25 Collapse Reason
Rhett Bassard + 25 Appreciating your contribution by using the Rate button.

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 29-1-2019 11:19:31
| Show all posts
Yes, they do take up my time. But I wouldn't watch them if they did not interest me. I don't watch everyday but when it's a series, and interesting at that, I tend to finish it as early as possible because I get curious. E.g. The Dark(German), Bodyguard, Line of Duty, GOT, Occupied(Norwegian). In each case I felt my time was well spent. Never regretted thinking that so many hours could have given me so much more to read.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 29-1-2019 14:30:30
| Show all posts
Edited by cynic at 29-1-2019 02:32 PM

For me, it has reduced the time I spend reading. But like @jhsurti, I don't regret the hours spent catching a series when I could have read a book. I still manage to read every day.

A related question, is visual content is overtaking text?

Use magic Report

Post time: 30-1-2019 05:44:21
| Show all posts
Yes, now I have to take time away from my TV or laptop to read. It is different when I'm engrossed in an interesting novel, but otherwise, there is a lot of streaming content to consume out there which takes over my reading time.

Use magic Report

Post time: 30-1-2019 10:05:19
| Show all posts
I don't think there has to be any competition between the two. Remember, many people start reading books "after" they had watched it on visual media. My reading habits started after I looked at Star Wars wiki, to know what happened, afterwards, to the characters. I was susrprised that not only there is huge content for 'afterwards' but 'before' too.

People get curious and that's the only thing that makes them do anything. For example, if there's a buzz around a book in someone's college campus or hostel or office; people would often jump in to read it, to catch up with trend. But if a TV series on Netflix is a largely unknown quantity, they might give it a pass.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Join

Points Rules

Mobile|Dark room|CraxMe UA-106553710-1

21-7-2019 07:35 AM GMT+5.5