| |

Craxme.com

Forgot password?
 Join
View: 133|Reply: 9
Collapse the left

[Group Reads] [Group Reads] [Discussion] ◆ January 2019 - City of Djinns: A Year in Delhi by William Dalrymple ◆

[Copy link]
Post time: 6-1-2019 15:17:33
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by cynic at 6-1-2019 03:18 PM

The votes for the first group read of 2019, from the Nonfiction / Biographies Genre are in and City of Djinns: A Year in Delhi by William Dalrymple has been chosen as the Group Read of the month.

City of Djinns: A Year in Delhi by William Dalrymple and Olivia Fraser

Sparkling with irrepressible wit, City of Djinns peels back the layers of Delhi's centuries-old history, revealing an extraordinary array of characters along the way-from eunuchs to descendants of great Moguls. With refreshingly open-minded curiosity, William Dalrymple explores the seven "dead" cities of Delhi as well as the eighth city-today's Delhi. Underlying his quest is the legend of the djinns, fire-formed spirits that are said to assure the city's Phoenix-like regeneration no matter how many times it is destroyed. Entertaining, fascinating, and informative, City of Djinns is an irresistible blend of research and adventure.

The book is available at City of Djinns: A Year in Delhi by William Dalrymple (generously shared by @jhsurti )

Members are requested to join in. Please use only this thread to discuss the book.

Note: Do check in if you are interested in participating in the group read. It gives us a fair idea of the wait time before we start discussing the book. If you wish to join in later, that is okay too.

Use magic Report

Post time: 8-1-2019 12:55:37
| Show all posts
Interesting pick. For a long, I have been wanting to start reading William D. Lets see. Have already eyed this one in past.

Use magic Report

Post time: 15-1-2019 12:28:11
| Show all posts
I had read this book long time ago but its still fresh in my mind. Set up in 80s and early 90s Delhi it throws up a different picture of Delhi the city from what people are used to seeing. It is one of the most piognant book i Have read so far for the city I live in and I totally loved it. The way author portrays each character is markedly different from many other travel writers I have come across. He paints a moving picture of a city burning under June sun, covered in soot from fires to warm in freezing winters, a city burning after a political assasination turned people against a specific community, a city struggling under the onslaught of modernity while trying to retain its old world charm, a city founded and routed 7 times, a city of chaotic closeness of Old Delhi to brilliantly planned Lutyens zone and a home to one of the most cosmopolitan population and amalgamation of vastly different cultures.A brilliantly written work...
The only other book I feel is equally good is Khushwant Singh's work called Delhi a novel....

Use magic Report

Post time: 15-1-2019 20:03:00
| Show all posts
divey 15-1-2019 12:28 PM
I had read this book long time ago but its still fresh in my mind. Set up in 80s and early 90s Delhi ...

Nearing the end now.

BTW have you read Rana Dasgupta's books on Delhi? 1) Capital - A Portrait of 21st Century Delhi & 2) Capital - The Eruption of Delhi. I haven't read them but I heard it mentioned by a friend that it forms a good read along with City of Djinns

Use magic Report

Post time: 16-1-2019 09:46:41
| Show all posts
jhsurti 15-1-2019 08:03 PM
Nearing the end now.

BTW have you read Rana Dasgupta's books on Delhi? 1) Capital - A Portrait of ...

I had read the first one Capital a Portrait, but somehow didnt find it as good as City of Djinns. I believe William Dalrymple lends an outsider's point of view to seeing things which really helps in forming a non biased view of the city.

Use magic Report

Post time: 16-1-2019 18:34:28
| Show all posts
I am not a fan of very descriptive passages of monuments/gardens etc when it comes to historical books. Otherwise, this book was a wonderful read. I liked the way WD explored the many layers of the city that was 'never devoid of human population for last 3000 years'. The whole experience was like an excavation of the history of Delhi. I wish this book was published when my visits to Delhi were more frequent. I would have been able to see the city with a different lens. WD has definitely been able to grasp the soul of Delhi. This narrative also proves that one never has enough time to explore a city of such historical background. How many of us as tourists would be able to dig out the information on the places we visit? (We are not chroniclers but just a thought!)
Excellent book. 4/5

Use magic Report

Post time: 16-1-2019 18:36:51
| Show all posts
divey 16-1-2019 09:46 AM
I had read the first one Capital a Portrait, but somehow didnt find it as good as City of Djinns.  ...

I will definitely not follow this book with another on the same subject. I fear I may not find the other as interesting! Khushwant Singh is on my TBR list. I am sure his book will be very interesting.

Use magic Report

Post time: 17-1-2019 12:09:58
| Show all posts
jhsurti 16-1-2019 06:36 PM
I will definitely not follow this book with another on the same subject. I fear I may not find the ...

Khushwant Singh's book is more of a story collection hovering between past and present looking at Delhi through the lens of its people. It is quite different from William Dalrymple's style of writing

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 19-1-2019 16:00:54
| Show all posts
I enjoyed re-reading the book. Among the books about Delhi, this one has a soul. I have read Khushwant Singh's "Delhi: A Novel", but find William Dalrymple's book way better.

I plan to pick up Rana Safvi's Forgotten Cities of Delhi next. It has been on my TBR for a while.

Use magic Report

Post time: 19-1-2019 21:04:51
| Show all posts
Lovely book and great narrative. Really deserves four stars

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Join

Points Rules

Mobile|Dark room|CraxMe UA-106553710-1

16-6-2019 08:00 PM GMT+5.5