Join
Author: divey
Collapse the left

[Book Reviews] Harappa series by Vineet Bajpai

Close [Copy link]
Post time: 23-11-2018 01:05:42
| Show all posts

Harappa series by Vineet Bajpai

One thing is for sure Mr Vineet Bajpai needs a good proof reader, a good editor and a crash course in English grammer. There are so many mistakes in the book that it almost looks like a proof given to general reader for checking the mistakes.

And above that he is very fond of adjectives and superlatives. The hindi/ sanskrit words have been used like south Indian movie titles. Pralay the deluge, Suraahi the earthen pot. I mean comeon spare us the repetation. You used it the first time for those who dont know, but every time that word comes its the same story. His characters are all in supelatives.
And then the adjectives, The son is never just the son its always obedient or brave or learned. The wife is always beautiful or life or some such thing.

And once you began noticing such things you tend to get diverted from the plot and start looking for more and more such things.
He has mispronunced or rather misspelled the shlokas at several places. The referances are also ill placed.

Comeon you are writing a three book series and call things unhuman....
The language use is also not upto the mark... The word meaning may be correct at places but the context in which the words used is misplaced. Just as example use of word MACABRE which seems to be his favourite is at almost all places out of context.

Ok. Enough of the this

About the plot. He has really developed the plot well, atleast initially. The first part builds up the story nicely and you are looking for a tale which will keep you engrossed. But then the devta, one world order has been played once too many times and the plot fizzles.
The discussion keeps on happening, on and on and on. And as if that was not enough there is a summing up also in the middle of the third book. Please.
The coherance of the plot was lost midway through second book and third one actually was a rut to read. And at the end of the day he's kept space for a fourth one too. A good editor would have kept his foot down and said to finish the whole story max in two parts.
About the characters...
At the most most characters are sketchy and only things described by the author are their physical attributes. The lady characters of Damini and Naina are wasted. Other characters also dont have any "character".  White mask is laughable and not really a villain....
And the plots has a lot of inconsistancy with places where the author keeps on contradicting himself on many matters. Spaecially when it comes to THE ARK he has gone berserk. And also Nara-Munda.

And last but not the list, the attempt to be like Archer by giveng a small twisted sentence at the end of each chapter has been used too many times and in the end becomes irritable.

I hope the next edition will be a much better than this attempt. And I am not saying the books are bad, but only for a better proof reader and editor. I have thrashed a lot more than the book deserves.

So amybe a one time read. But maybe I would not read the next part.
And a 2/5 for the whole series.

This is where you can find it

Vineet Bajpai (few books)
https://www.craxme.com/forum.php ... 891&fromuid=994
(undefined: Craxme.com)

Rate

Number of participants 1Money +25 Collapse Reason
cynic + 25 Thanks for sharing your review

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 23-11-2018 11:51:29
| Show all posts
Yes. But Why South Indian Movie titles? methinks there is lot in the Northern belt too!

Use magic Report

Post time: 23-11-2018 12:38:58
| Show all posts
soothsayer 23-11-2018 11:21 AM
Yes. But Why South Indian Movie titles? methinks there is lot in the Northern belt too!

Sorry. I was not being stereotypical.Just thought of all those dubbed south indian movies. I'm not talking all the movies. Its like Revenge- The badla, or Khoon- the blood or some such things. Mo offence meant

Use magic Report

Post time: 23-11-2018 15:40:11
| Show all posts
none Taken. Only Being light hearted!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 26-11-2018 10:51:36
| Show all posts
rahulpx 22-11-2018 08:37 AM
Which are some of the better books in this whole genre of "old ancient secret that can totally cha ...

Frankly speaking I am yet to come across a book which was more than average in the genre especially ones that were written by Indian Authors. There are a lot of books which keep on coming in the genre. You can try Weapon of Devas by Nanda Guruswamy, The Wordkeepers by Jash Sen, The secret of Immortal Code by Saptarishi Basu, to name a few. But Dan Brown is one author who has written extensilvely in this genre and his books are much better than Indian authors I have read so far (no offense meant). You can try reading his works especially the earlier ones like Da Vinci Code

Use magic Report

Post time: 26-11-2018 12:35:20
| Show all posts
divey 26-11-2018 10:21 AM
Frankly speaking I am yet to come across a book which was more than average in the genre especiall ...

I would disagree with you here @divey

Krishna Udayshankar has been a great read. Ashk Banker has been above average....
And don't forget the regional languages where tons has been written on Mythology and History.
I can quote some marathi if you are interested.

But yes the trend has been to make hay while the sun shines....

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 26-11-2018 17:31:11
| Show all posts
viksorion 26-11-2018 12:35 PM
I would disagree with you here @divey

I am with you on the writers mentioned but as you said, they are few and far in between and most people just try to board the ongoing trend. I was talking more of things other than interpretations of Ramayana and Mahabharata. Yes there has been some great work but most of it is still to reach the masses (especially for regional authors maybe due to language barrier). BTW I just finished reading Vimana one more mythological/ SCI FI novel and would share my reviews for it, found it interesting

Also would really appreciate if you could help with some regional takes on mythology and history which have been translated in English (if not about Ramayana and Mahabharata then better). Would love to read some good stuff...

Use magic Report

Post time: 26-11-2018 19:08:40
| Show all posts
divey 26-11-2018 05:01 PM
I am with you on the writers mentioned but as you said, they are few and far in between and most p ...

Here I am giving link of one. Considered one of the classics.

Somehow, I have not read it though

See if it interests you

Yayati: A Classic Tale of Lust by Vishnu Sakharam Khandekar
https://www.craxme.com/forum.php ... 063&fromuid=994
(undefined: Craxme.com)

Use magic Report

Post time: 26-11-2018 19:21:50
| Show all posts
A couple of books that are unfortunately not available but that I can recommend are

Radheya - Ranjeet Desai
Chaava - Shivaji Sawant
Inqualab - Mrunalini Joshi
Raja Shivchatrapati - Babasaheb Purandare
Shriman Yogi - Ranjeet Desai
Yugandhar - Shivaji Sawant

Most of them are available on the forum but in Marathi...
Will search for english version when time permits

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 27-11-2018 11:17:58
| Show all posts
viksorion 26-11-2018 07:21 PM
A couple of books that are unfortunately not available but that I can recommend are

Radheya - Ranje ...

Thanks a lot, its always pleasure to read some new stuff

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Join

Points Rules

Mobile|Dark room|CraxMe UA-106553710-1

18-3-2019 11:21 PM GMT+5.5