| |

Craxme.com

Forgot password?
 Join
View: 126|Reply: 5
Collapse the left

[Book Reviews] Tunnel of Varanavat: Mahabharata Re-imagined by Gautam Chikermane

Close [Copy link]
Post time: 22-10-2018 21:41:33
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by jayyogeswarusa at 23-10-2018 12:17 AM

I heard lot of good reviews about a book titled Tunnel of Varanavat : Mahabharata Reimagined. The Cover of the book really caught my eyes (Don’t think I am type of reader who judges book by its cover) and the title itself made my minds intriguing to read it. My mind was in a dilemma to pick this book or not as there have been many attempts in the past to re-do the ancient epics like Mahabharata and Ramayana from different characters perspectives and I applaud the authors who have done the same, but thankfully, this is not one of those renditions.

The plot revolves around Badri, the protagonist and the narrator, who is an ex-soldier turned miner of the Hastinapur empire but thankfully the story doesn’t delve into the epic any more than what is required. It is instead, a tale of the lesser known men and women who play small yet significant part in the lives of the better known characters from the epic.

The novel has depicted very strong characters like the connection between Badri and Veer, the bond between the Pandav brothers. One gets a rare insight into how they would have been in a setting that could only have put immense pressure on each of them and their mother Kunti who comes across as a headstrong person completely devoted to saving her children’s lives whatever the cost. Even the villain Purochan shows a side to his personality that would fill the hearts of many readers with sadness for this is the story of many in the world even today.

The Tunnel of Varanavat not only takes you into the tunnels of the Kuru kingdom, but also the tunnels of human psychology and make you realize that often things are not as simple as they appear, and there are many shades of grey in between the good and the bad. The language in the novel is poetic and the verses aren’t too complicated to understand giving us a light read. I would surely keep this book ready for a re-read whenever possible.

I am giving it 4.5/5.

This book is avilable here

Rate

Number of participants 1Money +25 Collapse Reason
cynic + 25 Thanks for sharing your review

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 31-10-2018 21:17:27
| Show all posts
Waiting for the ebook

Use magic Report

Post time: 10-1-2019 00:30:07
| Show all posts
Thanks

Use magic Report

Post time: 10-1-2019 07:11:19
| Show all posts
Nice review. I also loved the book. I liked very much the characters of badri and arjun in particular.  good writing style..simple and binding.Loved the book cover.

Use magic Report

Post time: 10-1-2019 09:52:34
| Show all posts
Very interesting ! For a while, I have grown tired of re-telling of the much told epics. But now, again I am lured into reading another one. But it seems this one is not one such and would be an engaging affair.

Use magic Report

Post time: 15-1-2019 06:18:36
| Show all posts
Thanks for the good review. Will check out the book

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Join

Points Rules

Mobile|Dark room|CraxMe UA-106553710-1

16-6-2019 08:15 PM GMT+5.5