Forgot password?
 Join
View: 75|Reply: 3
Collapse the left

[News] Know the Creator of the Tintin series, Hergé

[Copy link]
Post time: 10-1-2019 15:29:51
| Show all posts |Read mode

Hergé, most popularly known as the creator of the Tintin series is regarded as one of the most important and influential comic creators in history. Tintin’s 23 album titles have been translated into every language, and is one of the most successful European comic magazines of all time. Other series by him are Quick et Flupke and Jo, Zette et Jocko‘.

The Tintin series first appeared in French on 10 January 1929 in Le Petit Vingtième (The Little Twentieth), a youth supplement to the Belgian newspaper Le Vingtième Siècle (The Twentieth Century). Soon the series saw themselves as serialized strips published in Belgium’s leading newspaper and eventually spun into a successful Tintin magazine.

Here are six facts about the illustrator of this comic, Hergé.

This article was originally published in: Source

Rate

Number of participants 1Money +55 Collapse Reason
Pedro_P + 55 Very interesting and useful... Thanks for sharing it.

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 10-1-2019 18:20:12
| Show all posts
I have heard TinTin was used to boost the image and international political reputation of Belgium after the expose of its brutal treatment and genocide of Africans in the Congo; then under King Leopold who governed it as his personal fiefdom.  

One comic in particular, TinTin in the Congo extols this theme the most and has TinTin teaching African schoolchildren about Belgium as a great country and as their benefactor.

This was during the 1930s, over twenty years after Belgium assumed control of the area from King Leopold in 1908.

While the killings, mass kidnapping of females, mutilation of children and enforced quotas on rubber on the men had long since been stopped, the Congo in the 1930s was still heavily exploited and virtually nothing had been done to improve the social, economic, political and health conditions of the natives and there was no society or civilisation in the colony to speak of.

Herge was unfortunately used for this purpose and may even have been a patriot despite knowing about his country's legacy and savagery in its small African empire.     

Use magic Report

Post time: 28-2-2019 19:16:55
| Show all posts
Had lots of fun reading the series as a child. The captain was my favourite character.

Use magic Report

Post time: 11-3-2019 13:17:19
| Show all posts
thank you Hergé, for coloring up my childhood with tintin and team......and for creating such remarkable characters that i can relate still...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Join

Points Rules

Mobile|Dark room|CraxMe UA-106553710-1

26-5-2019 03:32 AM GMT+5.5